I suddenly realised I hadn’t done a Friday Five for ages. And yesterday, a friend and I were chatting on Facebook about the difficulty in finding really good ghost movies to watch, which started me thinking what my own favourites in the genre were. So here’s a selection (well, five, obviously!) of them, old and new.
- The Sixth Sense: brilliant chiller with a twist to (pardon the pun) die for. Plus an amazing, quiet yet emotion-filled performance by Bruce Willis and the introduction of Haley Joel Osmont in a role he seemed born for. M Night Shyamalan’s best movie so far, in my opinion.
- Haunted: slightly old-fashioned chiller with Aidan Quinn as a loner going back to the house where his sister died twenty years before. Some clever special effects (especially as the movie dates back to 1995) and another great twist, not to mention great turns from Anthony Andrews and Kate Beckinsale as a brother and sister with a dark secret of their own.
- The Others: excellent stuff from Nicole Kidman as a mother of two children with a rare form of photosensitivity who tries to protect them from the world outdoors. Dark, melancholy feel to things throughout and needless to say all is not quite as it seems.
- Get Out. A much more recent offering with Daniel Kaluuya as a young man visiting his fiancée’s parents for the first time and finding much more than he bargained for. Original, chilling, even scary in places and with a slightly more uplifting ending than you often get with paranormal films!
- Ghostbusters: the original and still (in my humble opinion) the best. Yes, it’s fluff but some of the scenes are surprisingly atmospheric and above all, it’s tremendous fun.
Does anyone else have any favourites I haven’t listed here? I’d love to hear what they are.