Two go for a wet walk

We haven’t had much time to get out and explore lately what with travelling over Christmas and the New Year, bad weather, and a couple of health issues. However, yesterday we were determined to fit in a walk, so even though the weather was deteriorating (again!) we drove to Ambleside.

It’s not often that we can get an on-street parking slot at any other time of day than very early in the morning, but perhaps because of the weather, or Omicron, or the fact that the holiday season seems to have finally come to an end, the town was eerily quiet. We parked, set our residents’ parking disc for an hour, and set off via Millans Park and Miller Bridge to stroll along part of Under Loughrigg.

For those of you who don’t know the area, this is a narrow country lane which follows the contours of the lower slopes of the hill called Loughrigg (Luff-rigg) which looms over the town at the head of Windermere. It’s a good walk in winter because the road is tarmac and not too steep, so ideal for poor weather. Which is just as well, as grey skies and a speckle of drizzle soon turned to thick mist and driving rain, blotting out the views and allowing glimpses only of mud, flooded fields – and the devastation left behind by Storm Arwen.

Because we had limited free parking we only walked about a mile and a half, but even in that short distance we saw dozens and dozens of trees that were leaning, fallen over, professionally felled, or simply ripped apart. If this is the same throughout the Lake District (and I think it is) then the area must have lost thousands of trees – a scale of damage I haven’t seen since the so-called Hurricane of 1987.

It was a little depressing – even more so knowing that one of only three people to lose their lives in the storm died right here in Ambleside – but even so it was lovely to get out into the countryside and the fresh air again. Hopefully if the weather improves a bit we’ll be able to take advantage of the sudden peace and quiet to get further afield.

No photos this time, though – even at 1.30 in the afternoon it was simply too dark to see anything!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s